For those of you who don’t know I’ve only had my blog since July last year. Writing a blog was something I always wanted to do but never quite took the leap into getting started.
I never knew what I was going to write about so I decided to keep the name generic so I wasn’t pinned to one subject, however I am thinking about changing this (I just can’t make up my mind!!!)
With the help of a couple of friends I was told about chats to join in on, people to follow on Twitter and basically reassured when I wasn’t sure if I was doing the right thing.
I know I’ve only been blogging for 6 months but it feels like a huge part of my life that makes me wonder why the hell didn’t I start this earlier! Just think how much further along I could be!!
I’m amazed by how many people follow my blog, have followed me on twitter and who want to engage with me! Little old me! I have been to a couple of blogging events and have met some wonderful people – people who I really look up to, who are big in the blogging world and of course have met some amazing brands too!
All I would say if you are reading this and are wanting to setup and blog but you can’t quite bring yourself to do it, I say, take the leap do it! It’s such an awesome community to be part of and everyone is so supportive of each other, it’s like one big family! I absolutely love blogging and I can’t imagine life without it now!
What were the reasons you set up a blog? Did it have the courage to do it straight away?
It’s been a while since I have done a round up of what I have been blogging about. November came and went so quickly and December.. well Blogmas took over most of it and then was actually Christmas! So here’s how I got on:
- I went to be 2nd ever blogging event which was BloggerHalloweenParty. I met some of the lovely bloggers I had met at a previous event and also got to meet some new friends. You can catch up on what happened here
- When I was at the Halloween party there was a company there called The Perfume Studio and basically you had the opportunity to make your own perfume. They tell you all about how perfume is made and have different nodes (which is the smells) so you can create your very own perfume. The best thing is you get to name your perfume, they register it on their webiste and then you can order it like you do any other perfume! How cool is that!!! You can read all about this here
- As I hadn’t long come back from Ibiza, it’s quite easy to say that I was looking for another holiday so I came up with a list of ‘money is no object’ holiday destinations that I would love to go to – you can read this post here
- I had read many books while we were on holiday and there was one book which I have half way through and me being me had to finish it. It was called Perfect Timing and is a proper chic lit that I found that I could’t put down. You can read the review on this book here
I had planned to do Blogmas for December – I had it all planned out, I have posts written even before December was here and all I had to do was add pictures. My blogging life at the start of December seemed cool, calm, relaxed and organised – then I got lazy! I started enjoying the festivities more (basically having a drink every night since the Christmas party) so I only managed to complete 20 days of Blogmas. For me, I’m proud of this. It was my first year as a blogger and therefore my first Blogmas and believe me, it takes some hard work and dedication to complete it. So hats off to you lovely lot who managed to complete the whole of Blogmas! I will complete it this year! You can find my day 1 post here and the rest will follow on.
I didn’t do very much scheduling in December as I thought posting Blogmas every day would be enough, I have since seen the errors of my ways and how important scheduling actually can be for your blog – I’m sure there’ll be a blog post on this over the next couple of months.
There you have it, I like to think I finished 2016 on a high with my blog. How did you get on with yours?
I talk about my other half Andy a lot and after a conversation in the pub one night he agreed to do a quick Q&A and have a post on my blog dedicated to him.. so here it goes!
- What is your ultimate favourite film? The Matrix.
- If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be and why? My Mums Sunday dinners because she makes the best Sunday dinner ever!
- What good couldn’t you live without? Cheese! I need cheese in my life, it’s my favourite thing!
- What did you want to be when you were younger? A vet.
- Where do you see yourself 5 years from now? In England. I’m not going anywhere else! Married with kids.
- What’s your favourite thing to do outside of work? Be around family at the pub.
- If money was no object, what would be the first thing you buy? An island in the Caribbean.
- If you had 24 hours to live what would do you? A day with all my family and the night with you.
- If you could have a super power what would it be? Eternal life so I could see everything.
- Which 5 countries tops your holiday wish list? America, Australia, China, Japan and Canada.
- What is your idea of a perfect day? Being alive when I wake up and still being alive when I go back to sleep, so every day is a perfect day.
- What do you want from life? Someone to share it with and to have children with so there is someone to carry on my name.
- If you could take one thing away from this world what would it be and why? Cancer because it kills people regardless of age, sex, nationality- it just kills.
- What is your party trick? Stripping full monty style until I got fat!
- If our home was on fire and you only had time to grab 3 things, what would they be? You, my wallet and my phone. Everything else in the house can be replaced.
There you have it – that’s person I live with and share my life with!
I can’t believe that we’re 4 days into 2017 already!! 2016 was a big year for me blog wise, as I started up my blog in July and since then have been hooked! Countless hours have been spent planning content, scrolling through Twitter, finding and meeting a lovely bunch of bloggers!! Personally, I have moved into HR and I have to say I’m loving every moment and I’m excited for what 2017 has to hold.
I don’t have many plans for 2017 personal wise. I have the normal things or saving money, paying off some debts, exercising more and of course eating healthier (well… less McDonalds anyway!!) I’m pretty sure more people have these on their lists so that’s the boring part over with!! 😛
For 2017, I want to get my blog to grow across all platforms. For the last 6 months I have experienced how hard it can be to keep followers on Twitter – I mean people follow you and because you don’t follow them back then they unfollow you again!! Seriously mate, I haven’t got time for this! I haven’t done much across any other social media platforms but that’s the plan – I want people to be like ‘OMG, have you heard about Sam, she’s a must to follow’ Could be wishful thinking, but I guess we will only find out!
So, the goals for the 2017 are:
- Increase Twitter followers to 1,700 – an increase of 71 followers per month
- Increase blog followers to 120 – a small number I know, but it still means 6 people a month being interested even to sign up!
- Increase blog views to 4,000 – I thought I did really well with my blog views last year as I finished the year on 1,522 views, not bad considering I started half way through the year I thought. So to hit this, it means I have to get 207 views a month eekk!!
- Increase Instagram followers to 500 – I haven’t done any blogging on Instagram as it has a lot of my friends and family on there and most of them don’t know I blog, so I’m going to try and dip my toes into the water and see what happens! I’ve kept it small, so I’ve given myself a target of 17 followers a month. I know some months I won’t hit this, but I’m hoping I’ll make up for it in others.
- Increase Bloglovin’ followers to 80 – When I first started blogging I signed up for Bloglovin’ and have done absolutely nothing with it! I’ve noticed that other bloggers have commented how hard it is to get followers on this platform so I’ve given myself a tiny tiny goal of 4 followers a month.
- Attend at least 2 blogging events. I attended two events last year and loved them. I loved meeting the brands, the bloggers and getting to know everyone and I would love to do this again! The more events the better in my opinion!
- Take better photos and get backdrops – I’ve started off well on this one – I have taken my first photo for a giveaway using good lighting and backdrops and I’m well impressed with myself. It was even taken on my iPhone 6 which made me even more impressed – this is the photo, let me know what you think!
That’s everything I have planned for now.. I will do an update on this half way through to year to see how I’m getting on.
Have you set yourself any goals for your blog for the year to come?